Sunday, June 7, 2009

What do I do?

I have a brother, right, who just turned 18 this year. He writes, like I do, but he writes war science fiction. Now, I have nothing against that genre, in fact I kind of like it. The problem is, no matter how many times I try to give him advice (and it's always the same advice) he never takes it.

And I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about, so I think that he could do better.

An example would be, all his characters, no matter how old, what personality, or what race, talk like they are from the 1800s. And he writes the same way!

Here's what happened that made me really mad, and created an arguement that eventually included the parents:

He had asked me to read his story a while back, and I had never gotten around to it, because I don't really like how he writes. But after I got into Google docs and really liked it, I set him up with an account and helped him put his story on Google docs so that I could have access, and be able to make comments for him.

Today I read through his prologue and left a whole bunch of comments. When he read them, he said 'okay, unless you have a masters degree in English I'm not going to take that advice, but okay.'

Am I wrong to think that every writer would want to make his story better? That every writer would want as much advice from someone with more experience than him/herself?


For news on Huntress, I'm borrowing my younger brother Jimmy's computer for the next week, and will do nothing but sit in my room and type. Maybe I'll finish the story by the end of the week! That would be really cool!

No comments: