Friday, April 30, 2010

Can anyone help me?

I have discovered that I like reading political fantasy more than quest fantasy. This startled me, because I really don't like politics; whenever it comes up in the conversation I tune out or try to change the subject. But when I'm reading high fantasy (apparently this is my own classification; example, Lord of the Rings is high fantasy while Harry Potter is not,) I prefer reading about political intrigue and the like rather than a bunch of people trekking across the world to find something/stop someone.

Let me give you some examples. I loved Brandon Sanderson's Elantris. I have never finished Terry Goodkind's Wizard's First Rule. I loved K.E. Mills' Accidental Sorcerer, but couldn't finish Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara.

Now this doesn't always hold true; I did read David Eddings' Belgaried series, but couldn't get through Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince. But for the most part I have an easier time reading political fantasy.

The down side to this, is I have a hard time finding something to read. Just like when I'm in the mood for urban fantasy, it's hit and miss, and there really isn't a list out there that tells what is political and what is quest.

So if you have suggestions, I would love to hear them.

No comments: