Monday, October 11, 2010

That's my name, don't wear it out

For a long time now, I've gone by the name Noble. This may come as a surprise, but it is actually short for Dark Haired Noble. The name is a bit odd, when you think of how light my hair is, but the name actually has nothing to do with me. But I've gone by it for such a long time now, that the name is as much a part of me as the name my parents gave to me.

It started back when I was about sixteen or so when I was in my 'join-every-community-forum-that-looks-good' phase. I remember I had just joined a community that discussed science fiction books and movies under a generic alias. The community had a gallery of avatars to choose from, and one day I was browsing through the gallery when I decided I wanted a picture of Padme Amidala from Star Wars Attack of the Clones as my avatar.

At this point, I decided that my alias didn't work with the picture, so--being me--I wanted to change the name, rather than the picture. I brainstormed a whole list of names that would work with the picture, and after thinking about it for all of two hours, I decided on Dark Haired Noble. It was a clever reference to Padme, as well as her daughter Leia, both of whom have dark hair.

The name stuck around, sort of on the fringes of my mind and thoughts, for another year before it really became who I was. Originally my writing pen name was Artemis, after my favorite Greek Goddess. But when I started my senior--and only--year of high school, I met a girl who is now one of my best friends. When she found out about my online alias of Dark Haired Noble, she immediately started calling me Noble instead of my real name. After that, I became Noble, and Noble became me.

And that's the story of a name. Do you have an interesting nickname that has a cool history to it? If so, I want to hear about it!

No comments: