Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

I hope you all had a good New Years Eve, and a good New Years Day. My family had a Pride and Prejudice marathon and watched the entire 5 1/2 hour movie. We also had an English tea party with finger sandwiches and 'crisps' and pressed cookies. It was loads of fun, though we were up finishing the movie until past one in the morning.

Here are my New Years Resolutions:

1.) Train three times a week in running so that I can run for twenty five minutes straight before I leave for basic training (pathetic compared to what some of my other friends can run, but to each her own)

2.) Finish one short story before basic training

3.) Finish one novel before my next birthday (finish, meaning ready to send to an agent)

4.) Survive basic training, language training, and tech school

Edit: As of Sunday, I have signed up for MilWordY, so one of my resolutions is now to write a million words before December 31st next year.

2 comments:

K La said...

Those are great goals! Here is my advice on the running:
1) Running three times a week is awesome. The best is every other day; that gives your muscles the much needed time to recover and avoids injuries.
2) The Run/walk method works wonders: start by running for 2 minutes, then walk for a minute, then run for 2 minutes... that is a 2:1. Every week on the same day, bump it up, so you're at 3:1, then next week at 4:1, until you can run for 25 minutes.
3) If your goal is to run for 25 minutes, run for 30 minutes (using the run/walk method) twice a week, and do one long run (run for an hour, or go for distance: run for 3 miles) still using run/walk, on the last day.
So train Monday, Wednesday, running 30 minutes, and then give yourself two days off and do your long run on Saturday.
4) Run outside, not in continuous circle. I love to run, but if I have an escape route, I take it. Thus, running on a treadmill, or running loops just doesn't work for me. I have a route that is two miles long, and the only way to get back home is to finish the route. That is the way to go. Use Google earth to measure how long your route is.

Just my two cents.
Good luck!!

Rabbit said...

Thanks so much! That is really good advice, and coming from someone who runs more than I do, I'll probably use that advice.

I would do number 4 if I could. It's just too dang cold here do do any kind of running at all outside. There's a bike trail I ran on during the summer that I really liked, but ever since it started snowing and getting down to 5 degrees during the day, I've been forced to run at the hospital gym.

Anyway, thanks so very much!