Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cryptologic Linquistics

So yesterday morning I headed to the big city to take another test for going the Air Force. This time, it was to test what my aptitude for learning languages was. My recruiter told me about the language job in the Air Force, Crypologic Linguistics, and about the enlistment bonus, and I quickly decided that was what I wanted to do.
Because of my high ASVAB score, I qualified to take the test. Most people don’t qualify to take the test, and even fewer pass it, or so I’ve been told. Anyway, I went to take the test yesterday morning. There wasn’t anything I could study, because it was testing my ability to learn a new language.
It was seriously the HARDEST test I have ever taken. I’m not allowed to say anything about it other than just taking the test made me feel stupid. Thankfully I passed, but just barely. The lowest passing score you can get for other branches of the military is 90, but the Air Force, which is the branch with the smartest people, doesn’t accept any lower than 100. I got 108. The highest score you can get is 177. So you can see how close it was.
Anyway, now I’m almost definitely going to get the linguistic job, because so few people qualify for it they are always in need of new people. With this job, after basic training I’ll be going to the military language school in Monterey California. Depending on what language I’ll be learning,  I could be there for more than a year. But it will all be worth it.
I’ll have word on when I’m shipping out either next week or, more likely, the week after that. Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Lydia said...

oh so cool!!!!!!!

I hope you learn Russian, it is so much fun! That is just so exciting!

Rabbit said...

I am thinking of learning Russian. Either that or Japanese or Italian. Those are my three favorite languages.

K La said...

If you learn Arabic they give you a lot of money.

That is so so so cool!! Congratulations! You are a genius!!

Rabbit said...

I promise, K, I'm not a genius. X) But thank you for the compliment! And I have thought about learning Arabic as well. I'm not going to really worry about what language I learn until the moment I'm given the choice. Then I'm going to become sick and worry that I'll pick the wrong one. ;)