Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A little piece of obscure knowledge

I don't think I've ever mentioned this on here, or even told any one, but I am an avid fan of Wendy and Richard Pini's ElfQuest. If you don't know what that is, look it up on Wikipedia. It's a fantasy comic book/graphic novel series from the 70s that has a cult following. Everyone I have ever told this didn't have a clue what it was.

I found it when I was probably twelve, when I was browsing the few shelves at the Dumfries Library back in Virginia. At the time it was something that peaked my interest, since it was beautifully drawn and colored, and was all about elves, riding wolves no less. Both of which were a big plus in my young mind.

Over the years, I have read even more of ElfQuest, and several times tried to create my own fan holt. (tribe of wolfriding elves) It never really succeeded, mostly because I couldn't recruit enough members to keep it active and fun.

It fell into the wasteland of my mind over the years. I collected the books, checked the main website every so often, but generally didn't think about it.

Then, yesterday I happened upon a picture of a wolfrider that I didn't recognize, and I was off exploring as much as I could possibly find until 1 in the morning. (cringe, I know, that's pretty late...) And after thinking about it, I decided I wanted to do more than just look. I wanted to participate, like I had tried to do in the past. Only this time it would be with a holt/club that was already active.

So I found the (almost) perfect holt/club, and joined.

I am so happy to find people who love ElfQuest as much as I do.

No comments: