Saturday, March 20, 2010

Saturday, March 20th, 4:03 AM

I'm shaking, so I must be in shock. It's hard to think properly, hard to get these words down on the computer. I've only been scared worse twice in my life; once when I was eight and had a terrifying nightmare, and again when I was nineteen and almost drowned. The difference this time is that I'm not scared for my own life.

I have two friends, brothers, who I'm pretty close to. We haven't known each other very long, but they are both really great guys and loads of fun to be around. I just found out that they were in a terrible car accident. They were driving with their dad and got t-boned by a runaway semi truck.

I don't know if they're going to make it. I got the call while they were on route to the hospital, and I don't know what condition they are in. I was told that their car is a complete wreck. When I asked if I could meet them at the hospital to see who they were doing, I was told that I couldn't because I'm "not family," even though they don't have any other family. So all I can do is sit at home, worrying and trying to get back to sleep.

Are they going to survive? Will there be any permanent damage? Will life ever return to normal?

Edit: Saturday, March 20th, 5:03 PM

They're going to be okay. I got a call this afternoon from the hospital, and the brothers are going to be okay. The younger one is pretty cut up, but nothing serious, and the older one was unconscious for a few hours with damage to his liver and kidney, as well as a really nasty bump on the head.

The father, unfortunately, didn't make it. They tell me that he was awake and walking around for a little while, but that he collapsed unexpectedly and passed away.

They're still not letting me come see them, because the older brother is still in really critical condition, but as far as I've been told, they're going to be just fine. I've spoken with the younger brother, he called me as soon as he'd found a phone, and he's a real mess. Everything that's happened, from what he's told me, I'm really not surprised that he's emotionally a wreck.

But the boys are going to be okay, which is what is most important.

2 comments:

K La said...

Oh, Liz, I'm so sorry

Rabbit said...

Don't feel bad. I wrote it partially as a joke, and partially as a writing exercise. The two brothers are actually characters in a book I was reading.

So please, don't feel bad. And don't get mad at me for 'tricking' you.