Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ready, set... Oh... It's next month...



So next month is November, as I'm sure everyone is aware, but it's also NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month.

I did this last year and totally bombed out at 6k words. Never got close to the 50k goal. The biggest reason was because I had been so hyped up on Halloween that I started a novel about a girl who finds out she's a witch from Halloween land and I combined several other story ideas that I had had and wanted to write but could only pick one.

And November isn't really a Halloween month. So I got bored really fast, especially with the plot not moving forward very fast.

This year, things are going to be different, I will tell you that right now. First of all, I don't have classes to go to. True, I do have work, but I spend about 4 hours a day sitting on a bus to actually get to work, so that's 4 hours I can be writing.

And I am getting a new, awesome, powerful laptop. My dad is helping me with this, as he is a computer expert. He's going to be doing the actual shopping for a great computer, I'm just going to pay for it.

Luckily I have an extra paycheck this month that I don't have to pay bills with. Whoot!

The biggest problem now is that I have no clue what I'm going to write this year. Last year I was all planned out before I started, was all set to go, all I had to do was write everything down. Only I got bogged down with the boring details.

This year I'm going to start with nothing. With actually might not work, but what the heck. I don't even know what genre I'm going to do... We'll just have to see after the first, which thankfully is a Saturday. So I'll have all Saturday to write 20k and be ahead of everyone. Then I might actually finish the 50k before the end of the month and try to make it to 75k, which is what some other people are doing.

Actually I think that is insane. But you know, if I do finish the 50k before the month is over and the story is not over, then I'm going to keep writing.

All this planning and I'm not sure I can do it...

DON'T SAY THAT! I'M GOING TO DO IT, I'M GOING TO MAKE IT, I'M GOING TO FINISH!

Okay.

For anyone who wants to try, the website is nanowrimo.org. It would actually be nice to have people I know doing it as well, that way I have buddies, and might be able to plan a write-in on one of the Saturdays.

The only distracting thing I'm going to do during the month is I'm going to go see Twilight in theaters for the midnight showing.

Anyone want to go with me?

No comments: