Sunday, October 5, 2008

Is it stealing if I use D & D as a guide to make my own world?

I have almost sort of decided what I'm going to be doing for NaNoWriMo.

It's going to be a fantasy, it might involve a Druid, it will have a princess that was changed into a fluffy white kitten, and it will have lots of black shadows.

I think.

The story I'm writing right now is set in a fantasy world that is pretty interesting. Since I wasn't really paying attention to what I was writing when I wrote the first 3 pages, I have a new world that warrents some expansion.

Example: The city the main character is living is is called Fifth's Dawn. Why? I don't have the foggiest idea. There are two festivals mentioned, the Festival of Leaves and the Midwinter Festival. It's baking hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. There are Gray Magicians and Elves. One part of Fifth's Dawn is called the Lower Courts. There is magic, what kind I don't know for sure.

So far there have been no mention of a government, the only other characters other than the 12 year old girl who is the main one is a gray magician who wishes her ill, an elf Prince who wishes her well, a seller of strange artifacts, and her son. Any others are only mentioned in passing.

The question I pose is this. Is it stealing if I take ideas for fleshing out this world from D & D v3.5?

I was looking through it earlier and thought that if I changed a whole lot of things but still followed the same principles and ideas, I might be able to have a world worth writing stories in.

Is that wrong?

No comments: