Sunday, February 28, 2010

Holy Wow, that car is cool

First things first: I have to admit that I finally gave in and started watching the TV show Knight Rider. Not the older version, I would probably gone insane watching that one. No, I started watching the 2008 Knight Rider, and believe me, I was hooked, instantly. The movie, which I own, was okay. A little cheesy, but okay. The TV show, much better. I have always loved movies/shows with racing/really fast cars; Speed Racer, etc. So after I watched about half of the show, I got a really great idea for an urban-ish fantasy series I could write.

It would be about a woman (duh) who is a great mechanic and loves cars. One day she gets struck by lightning and (par What Women Want) she starts to hear cars talking. She then goes on grand adventures with different kinds of cars, rescuing people, stopping bank robbers, etc. I ran the story idea by my mom, and she liked it. (which surprised me)

So of course, for this kind of story I would have to get pretty intimate knowledge about the best cars, car terminology, and how to fix cars. So I hurried like a good little writer over to the local library and found some books that might help. (might, since I didn't find an all encompassing car book detailing how to become an automobile genius) I got a book about Pony cars, a term I hadn't heard of before, muscle cars through the ages, and a ladies guide to taking care of your car.

Being myself, I read through the muscle car book first, drooling over the pictures of the really amazing looking cars like they were male models. I couldn't decide what car I liked the best, so I decided to do a little more research online. This led me to the Dodge Challenger.

I was originally looking at the Ford Shelby Mustant GT500, which is an amazing car, and was looking up pictures when I came across a picture that compared the Shelby to the Dodge Challenger. Next to the Challenger, the Shelby doesn't look nearly as cool. So I began to look up pictures of the Challenger. This led me to finding out what the specifications of the car could be, so I headed over to the Dodge website to build my own from scratch.

This led me to the Challenger SRT8 (Street and Racing Technology, in case you were wondering), which automatically comes with a 6.1 liter V8 SRT HEMI engine. For those of you who haven't been studying cars all day, that means this is a really fast, powerful car. It can pull 325 horsepower, which, while not as amazing as the Dodge Viper (600hp, and $91,000), is really good for a muscle car. As a comparison, average coups and sedans get about 110-150hp. See?

Now, the Charger SRT8 actually has the same engine. The selling point for me was the Challenger can come in purple.

Now you see how very non-girly and girly I can be, at the same time.

Sorry about the ramble... I tend to be long winded.

No comments: