Saturday, February 26, 2011

Regrets

I don't have a lot of regrets in life. I'm the kind of girl who just goes with the flow. I plan for the future, but then I usually just let the future happen. But I do have one regret in life, and it's one my mom had warned me about. I regret not continuing my piano education.

I used to be pretty good at the piano. I hated practicing, but with my ability to play by ear, coupled with a talent for winging it, I got along just fine without practicing more than once or twice a week. In the few competitions I took part in when I was living in Virginia I always got high marks. When we were living in Utah, my parents bought a baby grand piano to try to encourage me to play more. I loved making music with that piano, or any piano really, but I hated musical theory and the little ditties that were in the lesson books. I had a great teacher that my parents paid a lot of money for, but in my immaturity I didn't appreciate it.

It's been five years since I quit taking lessons. If I had continued, in those five years I could have become a great pianist. I could have been able to play any hymn from the hymnal, I could have up the a skill level where I could play a really beautiful, complicated classical piece. I could have been able to do a lot. But instead, I can't. Instead, over those five years I have slowly lost the ability to play. I can't even play the easiest hymn anymore without stumbling over every cord.

Recently I have been listening to piano music and watching shows about talented pianists. It's been a bit like watching what I could have become, if I had just stuck with it. My mom was always telling me that I has such beautiful, big hands, perfect for playing the piano. She was always so encouraging to me, helping me develop my talent, and I now feel like I let her down, as well as myself. I tell myself, I would have stuck with it if I hadn't been forced to play stupid little songs. As a person, I hate doing useless things. If it doesn't benefit someone, I don't want to do it. I would have much rather learned how to play the piano by playing an actual piece of music, like Chopin, or Mozart. I tell myself, I should have practiced more. If I had just forced myself past the beginning stages, which I was perpetually stuck at since I never practiced, I would have been able to enjoy playing more. But I didn't.

So, when I get my first duty station in the Air Force, I'm going to take up piano again.

1 comment:

Balgram said...

Why not start now? You have a hymn book, don't you?

I have a similar regret, but I printed off some songs I like and I am trying sight-reading on hymns. It's painfully slow right now, especially since I used to be better, but you and I have both learned previously that practice WILL make it easier, right?

Go grab a piano and play. If you don't have one at home, find a neighbor who is willing or a church that is nearby or a keyboard for sale on craigslist. Action today will make joy tomorrow, and getting momentum is the hardest part.

This is a skill I also wish I had developed more. But it's not too late yet, and I get tired of counting on the me of tomorrow. I find she's not too different from the me of today.

Oh, and I have a song for you that is pretty simple (you can play it passably in 10 minutes, and play it well in 20 or 30) but sounds good when played at full speed. If you want it. It's short, but it might be a nice introduction to getting back in the game.