Thursday, May 22, 2008

Getting A Car

Here's a little bit of info:

My new job is more than an hour bus ride from where I live. And at night, I just barely have enough time to catch the last bus back north. On Saturdays when I have to work, however, there is no bus that runs as early as I need it to be. Mom promised that she would drive me, but said that I should get my license. After further investigation, I have discovered that when my workplace moves to it's new home, I won't be able to catch the bus home. Therefore, I need to get a car.

I am so excited!

It's probably just going to be a cheap car, under a thousand dollars, and not very new. However, if it will get me to and from work every day, it will be the best thing ever!
I have yet to investigate how much insurance will cost, but with my new job, I think I will be okay. I might not be able to go to school full time in the fall though. (Yeah!) Not that I want to any way, but you know. The 'rents think it's best for me... Maybe once I have established myself financially I will be able to start going to school full time, which is what I need to do if I'm ever going to finish college in what I want, which has changed drastically since I started school last year.

Let me explain. When I finished high school, I had decided that I wanted to be an American Sign Language interpreter. I wanted that for a while, then it's slowly changed back to being a librarian, until I learned that I would have to do a lot more schooling for that. So then I didn't know what I wanted. When I went with a friend to the college I'm going to transfer too, I changed it again, to just plain English, with a creative writing emphasis. That changed again when I got interested in forensic science again. Now, I don't like science very much, but I think that I would be able to get through all the hard and boring science classes if I know that I would be able to do what I'm really interested in.

What started the interest back up again (I have been interested in this kind of stuff since I was 12, and I get it from my grandma, of all people...) was, I have to admit, the TV show CSI, then CSI: NY (which is way better). Of course, having read a whole lot of books on the subject prior, I knew that most of the timing and scenarios weren't very realistic. After watching a whole bunch of that (and when I say a whole bunch, I mean a TON), I went to a fireside that my church was holding where George Throckmorton, the forensic expert who cracked a bit case in the 1980's, spoke about the case. I was totally entralled, and knew that that was what I wanted to do. Not what he did exactly, he emphesises on forgeries, but solving crimes, proving theories, that kind of things.
I definitely don't want to be a pathologist or anthropologist. Maybe DNA or trace, but both of those involve nano-microscopic things, and I was terrible in my nanotech class last year. Didn't understand anything. Can't comprehend things that small. Maybe I'll be a digital forensic scientist. I'm good with technology. Or maybe I'll be an actual investigator, who knows a little bit of everything, and actually goes to the crime scenes to document it.

Well, that's a lot of talking, and I have to finish getting ready for work...

P.S.
My grandparents and aunt are staying at my house for my grandma's 80th birthday!

Laters!

1 comment:

Balgram said...

I had no idea you were interested in forensic science. More power to you, I guess.

Majors like that take time, and more schooling, but schooling isn't so bad if it's in a subject you LIKE.