Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Running

I went running for the first time in about a month and a half today. I stopped running temporarily at the beginning of February because I couldn't stand to run on the treadmill, which was the only place I could run because it was so cold outside. Today, it was in the mid to high 50s, so mom and I went out for a walk. Since she wasn't feeling very good, she only walked to the first bench along the trail near our house. From there, I decided to try running again, sort of a test to see where I stood and how far I needed to go before May 17th. I ran for about half a mile, turned around, walked a quarter mile, then ran the last quarter back to the bench where I had left mom.

The run reminded me how much I love running. If you had asked me at the beginning of last year whether I would like running, I would probably laugh at you, but it's true. I have really come to love running. I love the feel of the air moving past my body, the feel of my muscles working, I love how powerful I feel when I'm out running. BUT, I hate running on the treadmill. Running in place in front of a TV has no appeal to me whatsoever. I enjoy the scenery as I'm running outside, the fresh air, the feel of the sun on my front/back.

I'm glad it's starting to warm up again. I hope if keeps up, because I only have two months left, and I really want to be good at running before I leave.

1 comment:

Balgram said...

That's awesome and I'm mad jealous. That's how I feel about cycling and I would LOVE to have the energy and power to do that with my own legs.